The Muslim Caucus of America Platform in Action
The diversity of the American Muslim community reflects the diversity of America. An amalgam of the world’s races, ethnicities, and cultures, Muslims have been a part of the American fabric from before our country’s founding weaving through the history of our great nation.
Shaped by multiple and intersecting identities American Muslims feel the enormous challenges faced by our nation. From the economy to environment, we recognize that the destiny of all Americans is shared.
The framework of the Muslim Caucus of America’s national platform is designed to secure equal rights and equal opportunity for all. Promote social and economic justice, and the health and safety of all Americans. The Muslim Caucus of America is committed to ending violence, racism, Islamophobia, and ensuring dignity and respect for all Americans.
SECTION I: BRING AMERICANS TOGETHER AND REMOVE BARRIERS TO OPPORTUNITIES AND PROVIDE JUSTICE AND EQUALITY FOR ALL.
- We support a government that works effectively and fairly at every level, Including continual attention to issues of transparency, a strong and diverse judiciary, appropriate government oversight, and funding.
- We support and advocate for policies and practices that end systematic Islamophobia in our domestic and foreign policies. Including Criminal Justice and Immigration System and the Military.
- We support policies and practices that end systematic racism and envision a vibrant society with fair treatment of people of all races.
- We support and advocate for policies that eliminate disparities and reduce the racial wealth gap.
- We oppose calls for an Article V Constitutional Convention. We believe that a constitutional convention under Article V of the U.S. Constitution is a threat to every American’s constitutional rights and civil liberties.
- We support and advocate for policies and practices ending poverty and investments in communities left behind.
- We support The Violence Against Women Act.
- We support policies that promote strong net neutrality regulations.
- We support policies and programs that end the school-to-prison-pipeline.
- We support policies and practices that counter the disastrous effects of Citizens United and reform our campaign finance system to ensure the public’s right to know, combat corruption and undue influence, enable candidates to compete more equitable for public office and allow maximum citizen participation in the political process.
SECTION II: CLIMATE CHANGE, BUILD A CLEAN ENERGY ECONOMY, AND SECURE ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
- We support legislation to preserve our nation’s natural resources and protect our public health.
- We support legislation that seeks to protect our country from the physical, economic and public health effects of climate change while also providing pathways to economic prosperity.
- We support legislation to improve energy efficiency throughout the economy and improve pollution control, including shifting to renewable energy, establishing federal fuel-efficiency standards and opposing oil drilling in environmentally sensitive areas, including the Keystone XL Pipeline.
SECTION III: FOSTER A PEACEFUL, SAFE AND SECURE WORLD FOR ALL
- We support measures that broadens efforts to prevent and counter violent extremism to include all violent ideologies and organizations.
- We support policies focused on centering democracy, freedom, and human rights.
- We support measures to limit the accessibility and regulate the ownership of gun laws including, but not limited to, enforcing universal background check laws, banning assault weapons, and closing the gun show loophole.
- We oppose any measure to militarize our states and local police forces.
- We oppose policies promoting unwarranted and heavy-handed surveillance by government agencies on Americans and their houses of worship without appropriate judicial oversight.
- We oppose torture in all instances and supporting the prosecution of any officials who aid and abet torture. We define “enhanced interrogation” as torture under the United Nations Charter.
- We support the closing of Guantanamo Bay, trying the detainees in Federal Judicial court system and charging any detainees as appropriate. Releasing the detainees who are not tried and charged. Transfer of remaining detainees to facilities within the US
- We support stronger congressional and judicial oversight of drone programs.
- We support a thorough re-evaluation and substantial revision and/or repeal of the Patriot Act.
- We support the enforcement of the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which limits the Executive’s ability to send US troops into hostile action without a Declaration of War by the Congress.
- We support regulations which require the Executive branch to seek congressional approval at least every three years in a declaration of war.
- We oppose the Secretary of State taking a role in supporting war.
- We support any measure which reevaluates and redefines the so-called “War on Terror”
- We oppose the proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- We support the use of the FACE Act and other regulations to protect houses of worship from “armed protests” and other acts of intimidation.
SECTION IV: RAISE INCOMES AND RESTORE ECONOMIC SECURITY FOR THE MIDDLE AND WORKING-CLASS FAMILIES
- We support any measure bridging the income gap with a fair and living wage, including equal pay for equal work for all Americans.
- We support a minimum wage predicated on the increase in GNP (Gross National Product) for all Americans.
- We support any measure that provides more workers with near record profit-sharing plans including higher pay and expanded benefits, and better labor-management relations.
- We support policies that protect Workers’ Fundamental Rights and oppose any efforts to erode workers’ earned benefits such as social security, unemployment insurance, retirement and pension programs.
- We support paid sick leave, overtime after an eight (8)-hour work day, and guaranteed paid vacation time.
- We support paid family leave.
SECTION V: PROVIDE QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE EDUCATION
- We support making all community colleges tuition free and Providing Relief from Crushing Student Debt.
- We support policies that ensure reduction of high cost tuitions and no interest payment of student loan debt.
- We support institutions and programs which assure the diversity of the student body, including historically black colleges and universities.
- We support measures to crack Down on Predatory For-Profit Schools.
- We support policies and programs guaranteeing Universal Preschool and provide resources and funding for schools in improvised areas.
- We support measures that safeguard the rights and protections of all students by enforcing our nation’s civil rights laws and implementing regulations that prohibit discrimination and providing additional support to educators to prevent such discrimination.
- We support any measure aimed at expanding civics and social studies curricula including world history and its relationship to the advancement of civilization for the K-12 community, and all educators in ways that are constitutionally and academically sound.
SECTION VI: ENSURE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF ALL AMERICANS
- We advocate for protecting and promoting public health. Ensuring access to affordable, quality health care for all Americans. We believe that all Americans should have access to a basic level of care, including disease prevention, primary care (including prenatal and reproductive health), acute long-term care, mental health care and health promotion and education.
- We support the Trafficking Victims Protection Act (TVPA) of 2000.
- We advocate and support policies and programs that combat Islamophobia and end the use of religion to discriminate.